NEWS SOURCE = Callaway Golf
Related Links = au.callawaygolf.com/
THE MOST AGGRESSIVE GROOVE IN GOLF
The new JAWS MD5 wedges are a breakthrough in wedge design and performance. Callaway Golf Chief Wedge Designer Roger Cleveland and his extensive R&D team have created a new JAWS Groove to take spin and control to the next level. The result is a wedge with total performance: premium shapes, striking finishes, outstanding feel, unique versatility and exceptional spin.
JAWS MD5 distances itself from the competition by combining our innovative JAWS groove design and perfecting the meticulous manufacturing process used to render it. The JAWS groove dramatically differs from the previous design in MD4 to promote significantly more spin and control. The walls, edges and angles are milled into the face with extreme precision to achieve the sharpest edges and tightest tolerances ever achieved by Callaway.
New JAWS Groove Design
The JAWS MD5 features our proprietary new JAWS groove designed to a 37º wall angle, an extreme difference vs. the 5º used in MD4.
This elevates the groove-edge sharpness to a new level, for maximum grip and spin from all types of lies. JAWS grooves are particularly effective from 80 yards and in, producing a player preferred “one hop and stop” trajectory.
JAWS MD5 also incorporates our proven Groove-In-Groove Technology. These milled Micro-Positive grooves are placed in the flat parts of the face for added surface roughness and grip. Three raised micro-ridges are featured between each groove, adding grip to the ball’s cover to increase spin on a variety of shots. This combination of JAWS grooves plus micro-grooves provides 84 different contact points to promote more spin.
Not Just High Spin, Consistent Spin
It’s hard to save shots if you can’t predict how the ball will behave. Each JAWS groove is rendered to the tightest tolerances we’ve ever achieved, promoting consistent spin-rates from shot to shot. JAWS adds a higher level of consistency that inspires confidence for all scoring zone shots.
Unparalleled Feel Unique to Callaway Wedges
Roger Cleveland is a master at delivering uniquely satisfying feel by combining the right designs with the right materials. JAWS MD5 is constructed from 8620 mild carbon steel and the Center of Gravity of the wedges is precisely placed to create a soft, yet substantial feel.
Premium Shape, Construction and Finish
Creating a great wedge shape requires the eye of an artist and the skill of an engineer; a rare combination that our Chief Wedge Designer Roger Cleveland has honed in the 23 years he’s designed wedges for Callaway. He’s worked his magic again with JAWS MD5, which is appealing from all angles, especially behind the ball, whether it’s square or open.
JAWS MD5 wedges lofted from 46º to 52º are slightly smaller compared to wedges lofted 54º and above, to create a natural shape-progression from the short-irons (8 and 9) to the highest lofted wedges.
These wedges boast precise and appealing detailing that give them a premium look. They retain the row of four ports and medallions on the back of the head that make our wedges immediately identifiable. Two premium finish options are available: Platinum Chrome and Tour Grey, both are beautiful and durable.
New Low-bounce W-Grind and Updated C-Grind
The new Low-bounce W Grind is a direct result of Tour player feedback. Tour pros asked for a new grind that delivers increased playability around the green while still allowing them to employ the sole’s entire bounce on full shots. Roger answered by increasing the sole-taper and heel relief. The new W Grind is available in two lofts: 58º and 60º.
We’ve also updated our C-grind to increase versatility around the green by reducing the bounce angle, widening the middle section of the sole and increasing the heel relief. Available in 54º, 56º, 58º and 60º lofts.
Additional grind options include S (in every loft) and X (58º and 60º) and a higher bounce W Grind (50º, 52º, 54º, 56º, 58º and 60º).
Callaway Customs Options
JAWS MD5 will be available in Callaway Customs with 10 color zones and new medallion paint-fill color options and stamping choices, giving golfers more ways than ever to personalize each wedge and make it their own.
Stock shaft options include True Temper Tour Issue 115 (steel) and Project X Catalyst 80 (graphite). Stock grip is Lamkin’s UTX in black/blue. Women’s stock options are UST Recoil Wedge shaft (graphite) and Lamkin’s women’s Comfort Grip in black/blue.
Features and Benefits:
- New JAWS Groove Design with Groove-In-Groove Technology for Exceptional Spin
- Innovative JAWS groove design with extremely sharp edge radius works with our proven Groove-in-Groove technology to impart more spin for precise control.
- Precisely Shaped for A Beautiful Look and Extraordinary Feel from 8620 Mild Carbon Steel
- Shaped by Roger Cleveland, these premium heads exude quality and superiority from every angle, while also delivering a soft and satisfying feel no other wedge can match.
- Two high-end finish options: Platinum Chrome and Tour Grey.
- New Low-bounce W Grind and Updated C Grind for Increased Versatility
- The new Tour-tested W and C grinds are both updated to make it easy to play a wider variety of greenside shots.
- Optimized Head Progression
- Head shaping progresses from traditional shaped lob and sand wedges to a compact player preferred design in the gap and pitching wedges for a seamless transition into an iron set.
- Premium Components for Premium Performance
- Men’s: True Temper Tour Issue 115 (steel) and Project X Catalyst 80 (graphite); Lamkin UTX grip in blue/black. Women’s: UST Recoil Wedge shaft (graphite): Lamkin Comfort grip in black/blue.